Friday, July 2, 2010

Friday Smell Test

Here's to another Friday.  Let's hope this day proves to be easily digestable as I move towards a theatre-free weekend.

So, funny thing, the oil is in the gulf.  That's not the funny part.  The funny part is I can almost SWEAR, that I smelled oil when I got out of my car at work.  It was an oilish, dieselish, nasty-ish (can't spell) smell.  Did a diesel come thru the parking lot?  Did someone piss gasoline in the parking lot?

Has it really been this long since I've posted?  Since I'm too lazy to go back and check, I dare say it's been since mid-June since I've posted.  But, honestly, I'm a working girl...when do I have time to languish over the rambling thoughts in my head?  Well, now.

An update: Oil.  Is.  Still.  Gushing.

An update, part 2: Our county commissioner is. Still.  In.  Jail.

An update, part 3:  Our Mayor. Still. Sucks.

An update, part 3.1: Our Mayor. Just NOW. Is. Taking. Proactive. Action. for. our. waters.
*sorry for the over use of the period, but to just emphasize my yearning to be a dramatic news reporter, I felt the need to bombard my statements with such atrocity.

See, aren't you glad that things never change here.  It's like the movie "Groundhog Day"...just a few improvements, but the same things keep occuring over and over and over and ad nauseum.

Why was it, when I posted a recent status update on my Facebook page, that someone had the audacity to ask if what I posted was real?  WHY?  Here is the status update (not the exaxt words because I fail to remember what they were):
Today, on another episode of Leo Works for a Retirement Home: One resident gripes about being up so early, while another tells her to "Be a big girl and drink your coffee, or go take a powder."
Why on earth would I lie about this?  I work for a retirement home.  I hear things.  I hear so many wonderful things that I find the need to post them as my status update on Facebook.  I never post anything insulting about a resident.  I always post things that are true and funny. 

This isn't the first time she's called my status updates into question.  I've been known to post things that I see on the street or in Dollar General or in Wal-Mart.  Every time, she comes back with "Did this really happen?  I can't see how you always see the strangest things."

Let me break it down to you this way.  We all see things everyday.  Sometimes, our minds are focused on other things going on that we miss what we're really seeing.  I am sure we've all seen someone grab their crotch walking down the road, or someone picking their nose while driving.  But, it's how we process that information once we've seen it.  For me, I turn it into blogs or status updates.  For most, like my friend, she just moves about the rest of her day, having blocked out that fun little bit of information.  My mind is like a sponge for all things weird.  Now, ask me to conjugate a verb or to calculate a formula or something inane like that, then my brain shuts down.

Just an FYI, telling someone in that age bracket to "take a powder" does not mean powder their nose, nor does it mean take a swab of coke and snort it up your nose.  It just means, TAKE A HIKE.  ha ha ha ha.  Silly people.

Speaking of silly people: I have a neighbor who is, I believe, Cajun.  This excites my soul.  I am outside, sitting in the garage, listening to her yell at her kids.  It's quite funny.  I don't understand a lot of what she's saying, but I do get the "I'll blahblabhblabhablabh SPANK YO ASS, you bet get back inside dis house. Ain't gone tell you 'gain, get out da street."  ***translation: I'm going to find you and spank your ass, so you better get back inside the house.  I am not going to tell you again, get out of the street.***

It's a grand day indeed.  I was greeted at the door by a resident to help her open a bag of cereal.  Me+bag+bare hands = epic fail.  I couldn't open the bag to save my life.  I used scissors.  How lame ass am I?  Gawwwwddddd, I need to toughen up. 

PEOPLE.  If you're going to look for a job, and you show up at various places of employment, wouldn't you want to try and dress like you're really looking for a job?  Or when you call a place of employment, seeking out a job, wouldn't you want to try and sound like you're really looking for a job?  These two things occur almost daily for me.  I understand about the slump in the job market.  I also understand that question #1 might sound a little insensitive on my part.  Let me explain.  I wouldn't have a problem with someone showing up in jeans or sweats or whatever.  Because, I don't rightly know the circumstance that brought them to me in the first place.  I do however, have a problem with hoochie-mama clothing on a woman trying to look for an administrative position at the retirement home. When I say hoochie-mama, I am NOT exaggerating.  This is something you would see at a club downtown.  Let me find a picture example and post on here. You be the judge.


This is actually very eerily similar to what the chick had on.  Am I being too harsh?  I mean, we really aren't hiring anyone right now...so I really shouldn't feel guilty telling her that we're not.  But, was this response elicited from my mouth because of the way she dressed?  Sigh.

Thanks Lil Kim for letting me use you as an illustration today.  May your albums never ever suck.  Which, honestly, I couldn't tell you what you sing...but I am sure you make millions more than I'll ever make.

Since it's Diesel Smelling Day, let's at least look at one picture that is worth looking at.  WARNING: I'M ABOUT TO INSERT A DOUBLE STANDARD COMMENT HERE.  Vin Diesel can come in and apply for any job here he wants, but ONLY if he is dressed like this: 

Happy Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment