I've decided to "pretend" to be a cat whisperer of sorts. We have the little kitties that have been hanging out at my work. All of the residents love them, they oooh and ahhhhh over their gloriousness (is that a word?). This morning on my way in, they were eating their breakfast. Since they've grown accustomed to seeing me stomping by them every morning (can't play now kitties, coffee first), that they just gently move out of my way. As I'm opening the door, I decided to drop my stuff on my desk and go back out. This is the conversation I had with one of the cats:
Me: So, are you liking it here?
Cat: Meowwwwwwwwww
Me: That's good to know. What do you do all day?
Cat: Meoww. Meowwwwww.
Me: Sleep in the sun? And you chase birds too? Wow, how can I get a gig like that?
Cat: *rolls over and lays on back.
Guess this conversation is over. GAHHHH, I'm so nosy.
Here is a phone call that I'd like to share with you. It's rather bizarre...
Me: Good morning, XYZ Retirement Home
Caller: hey, yeah, I want some information on your place. Like, how much and all that etc...(she said etc., really, she did)
Me: Well, our prices range from ####$ to ####$, depending on the size apartment you're looking for.
Caller: WHAT THE $#%@? (no, she didn't use symbols...she said a lovely 4-letter word)
Me: I'm sorry, but that price does include...
HANGS UP.
Few minutes later...Ring Ring
Me: Good morning, XYZ Retirement Home
Caller: About that price you just quoted me...
Me: Oh yes, I was going to tell you before you hung up, that the price...
Caller: I don't care. I just wanted to tell you that's robbery. How can you feel good about yourself if you're charging that much for rent?
Me: I apologize, but our prices are in line with other facilities in town.
BIG AWKWARD MOMENT OF SILENCE
Caller: well $#%@ that.
Hangs up again.
About an hour later...RING RING (boy I wish I had caller ID on my work phone right now)
Me: Good morning XY...
Caller: You know, I used to work at Mobile Infirmary. Yeah, I've seen lots of old people who can't afford this and that. Do you think I should look at Le Such ~n~ Such Place? What do you know about them?
Me: I've only driven by there, I do not know anything about them.
Caller: What? You don't keep up with the competition? What's your deal? What do you do all day?
Me: ummm, I play games with the residents, book musical entertainment, go to the casinos, write blogs about conversations like this..
Caller: Well, I am sure that you all will have a hard time finding anyone to live there. A HARD TIME. uh huh. A HARD TIME.
Me: Okay, well good luck in your search.
Caller: Yeah you too honey. (Not sure what I'm searching for, but okay...thanks.)
WHAT? Really? I mean, you call and insult me once, but then you have to do it twice more?
Putting that horrid event to bed now. Moving along...
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the library behind my work opens later than the other days. The sign on the door clearly says that they open at 12. It's kind of hard to NOT see it. So when I drove by there yesterday to place a book in the book return slot, there is an impatient man waiting outside. Mind you, it was only 9:00. He is standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SIGN. He was looking at his watch, flipping his keys, tapping his foot, blathering on his cell phone about "they must be doing repairs, because they're not open today. No honey, really, they're not." That is when I interrupted him and said that "they don't open until 12 on Tuesday" (lovingly pointed at the sign behind him). I walked off. I felt good that I did a random act of kindness, even if he didn't thank me and looked annoyed that I might have been eavesdropping. Whatever.
Well, let me go eat. I can already see that typing a story on this blog with an empty stomach is worse than grocery shopping tha way. Whew. Hope I didn't ruin your lunch.
Check out these little kitties here at my work. Aren't they soooo cute? Wittle Bitty Babies.
Until next time, I shall remain:
the girl who feeds hungry cats and helps clueless men at nearby libraries
Leo, I just wanted to say that I love you. I really, really do. I needed to laugh today and your phone call did it for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks!