Thursday, April 14, 2011

Let's Go To The Movies: American Idol recap

Judge Mental is in the HOUSE!!
Last night's American Idol Top 8 brought us songs from the silver screen.  There were some disappointing choices and some were brave choices.  But, overall I STILL have my two least favorite in the competition and I so desperately want to see one in particular go home.  There were some bombs in the show, but sadly, no one was THE BOMB for me.  Sadly.

Alas, I am not the 4th judge on the show.  This season is apparently the "Kinder, Gentler Idol", where the judges dare not utter a criticism.  The only one to offer any kind of negativity (if that is what he does), is Randy.

This week, I will give these Idols a song in which I think they should sing.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Last night's recap.  "Dim the lights, here we go." -Ryan Seacrest

First up is Paul "upstaged by a sax player" McDonald: He chose to sing "Old Time Rock 'N' Roll".  It was terrible.  Paul just does NOT have the voice to do that song.  Period.  The suit he wore last night eerily reminds me of something Porter Wagoner would wear.  For those who do not know who he is, just google him.  You'll see.  IF, and that's a big IF, he sticks around another week, Paul should actually sing something from Damien Rice, perhaps "The Blowers Daughter" since it is quite mellow and the possibility of him doing that crazy thing with his arms would almost NOT happen.  Let's hope he goes home though...

Next is little Lauren: Now, you chose a "safe" song and you still managed to butcher it.  I think with a long list of great movie songs, why this one?  Why?  Covering "The Climb" from Miley Cyrus is so overdone.  I actually liked the song when it first came out.  I hate it now.  Next time, if I had my wish, I would like for you to sing something from Belinda Carlisle, like "Heaven is a place on Earth"...yeah, that would totally rock my world.  Sadly, you've probably never heard that song, or even Belinda.  Or even the Go-Go's.  AARGH!  KIDS! 

Ladies and Gentlemen: There was apparently a "new" kid last night on the show.  His name is Stefano.  Was he like a wild card person, because I swear, I don't remember him being on there before?  Oh wait...he has.  He's THAT kid that I forget about.  oops.  Anyhow, he kinda sorta brought it last night with his song choice from Boyz II Men "End of the road".  How prophetic that he chooses that song, since I've been singing that to him all along.  Oh well.  We'll see....he's probably accustomed to sitting over on the stools.  BUT, if he stays, let's hear him sing something from another boy band.  How about "Bye Bye Bye" from NSync?  Yeah...I think that's appropriate. 

Scotty McCreery can do no wrong.  It seems.  He chose George Straight's "Cross my heart".  As last night seemed to be the night that everyone wanted to go against Jimmy Iovine, Scotty was the first to start this trend.  Jimmy's song choice didn't quite warm up to Scott and he declared mutiny on Iovine.  Good move.  He sounded great, was a little bit easier on the eyes last night (not as much microphone loving).  He'll make it thru, and when he does, he should sing Garth Brooks again.  This time he should sing "Friends in low Places."  Since I don't really know too many country songs, it really is hard for me to pick one out for him.

If you were in the mood last night for some Jazz, then Casey Abrams was definitely your man.  His song choice was a product of his declared mutiny on Jimmy Iovine and will.i.am, who wanted him to sing a Phil Collins song.  Casey really felt passionate about doing "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole.  This was a risky move.  He sounded good, but I feel that may have cost him some votes as a lot of people either don't like jazz or possibly don't know the song.  I feel the latter is what's going to get him as there are probably more teeny boppers voting than jazz enthusiasts.  I like you Casey, and I hope you stick around.  In fact, I heard a song on the radio this morning that I thought that you should sing.  It's "Fortunate Son" from CCR.  Yes, yes, yes...I know last week I said I didn't like CCR, but this song sounds like you.  Just saying...Or perhaps even a Stone Temple Pilots song.

Haley, you did a great job again this week with Blondie's "Call Me", as this was suited for that naturally raspy voice of yours.  ANDDDD, I didn't hear a growl from you, which makes me think that you do have other talents on the table besides "trying" to be sexy.  I feel like you'll be around next week, so let's hear you sing something a little bit more mellow...hmmm...you would be a good fit for some Nina Simone or Billie Holiday.  Or if you just gotta have that sexy vibe, then something from Sade.  As all three of these artists have wonderful songs, I can't pick just one...geez.  You get the picture.

The next singer, Jacob did "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from Simon and Garfunkel (a fact, which I never heard them mention on the show).  I love this song.  I didn't really love Jacob's version, it was too predictable.  It was good, but not great.  You seemed a little out of touch with this song.  I....worry....about you.  Oh well...maybe it was an off night.  Let's see, a good song for you...how about a soulful rendition of "Sweet Child of Mine" or "Sitting on the dock of the bay"....yeah. 

James closed out the show with Sammy Hagar's "Heavy Metal".  It was good.  Maybe...I for one thought it was "good" again, not blown away with it.  Why?  I felt like it was too predictable, like Scotty.  You know they're going to do good, but when you can almost hear how they sound before they sing it, then I think it's too predictable.  James is another one who gave Iovine the finger (not really), but went with his gut on this one.  I would like to see James do a Pearl Jam song, perhaps some "Alive" or something from their early years.  Maybe he should be the one to do some Stone Temple Pilots.  With his mantra of "Give Metal A Chance", he might be better off singing something from the Prince of Darkness, dear ol' Ozzy.  Hey, do "Crazy Train".  Yeah, that would be a good one.

In all, this was NOT one of my favorite Idol nights.  I feel that only a couple of people really did their research and honed in on their true feelings and not trusted the feelings of Jimmy and will.i.am.  I am still trying to understand why will????  You mean to tell me there isn't ANYONE else that could really mentor these kids?  Really? 

My bottom three predictions:
1. Paul
2. Stefano (who?) 
3. Jacob

With the judges not really doing their job America, it really is up to me to do it for them.  Let's just hope everyone could read my mind last night and did the right thing and NOT voted any of these 3.  Stay tuned tonight to see who goes home.

Until next time, I shall remain:
Judge Mental on Wednesday Nights at 7:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment