Thursday, July 14, 2011

Proofreading your leftovers

Hello and welcome to a new segment on my blog that I would like to call "Proofreading Your Leftovers".  This was inspired by a grocery list that was left behind in a cart at a nearby Wal-Mart, which my husband happened to find.  Just about everytime I go in and grab a cart, there is something left behind, usually a coupon, or some mangled up candy wrapper, or worse, a Kleenex.  But, if I happen to stumble upon a grocery list, mark my words, I will pull it out and glance over it. Only now, I have created a mission to blog about the ones that I find from here on out.

So let's get started, shall we?

 1. Are we buying Eggs or Eggo?  Either way, there is no need for an apostrophe.

2. It's Lloyd's BBQ, not Loyds. 

3. Do you want buns or bans?

4. Cokes my lunch???  Not sure what to say here.

5. Stewed tomatoes.  You left the "e" off.  Is that what got Dan Quayle in trouble? Or was it the "e" in potatoes? 

6. Pepperoni.

7. black olives.

8. This has to be the funniest of all..."stake if possible".  Two things:  you spelled steak wrong, and I am not sure what you mean by "if possible".

9. is that bleach or breach?

10.  For goodness sakes, don't forget the BIRD SEED







Well, there you have it.  Make sure to take your list with you when you leave the store, or I might just find it and laugh at it.



6 comments:

  1. who buys stake from Wal-Mart? If possible, I buy stake from anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't buy a steak, but maybe a couple of stakes to hold up a volleyball net...perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preparation for vampire hunting maybe? And it was potatoes that ruined Quayle's political aspirations, of all things. :^/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leonora, Your comments on this grocery list remind me of my comments on student writings. You MUST join us at Bishop State (or any college in the U.S.) where we cajole, torture, lecture, flunk, plead, and counsel students as part of an all-out attempt to inspire respect and caring for the English language. It's a painful, brain-squeezing job, but we figure somebody has to do it. Your grocery list is a prime example of what we're fighting against. We TRY to keep hope in our hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leo, the above comment is from me, Nancy Lenoir. I can deal with the English language (mostly), but understanding computers is above my pay grade.

    ReplyDelete