Monday, November 22, 2010

So, the process begins...The Diary of Anne Frank, unplugged

So the process begins.  I have begun the journey known as directing The Diary of Anne Frank by having auditions.  As I figured, there were a lot of young girls eager to try out for the coveted role of Anne.  While all were very good in their own way, I can only pick one.  Each had her own interpretation of how Anne should be.  These young girls are the age that Anne was when she started writing in her diary.  All of these girls probably, even after all of these years, can relate to their young subject.  Anne's energy and innocence are very obvious early on in the story.  But, as time progresses, we see an almost darker side too, one that has seen her family battle it out over the smallest of problems that we take for granted.  She's also been hearing accounts of how friends and neighbors have been called up to concentration camps. So Anne's innocence and energy seem to wane, but yet she still keeps the spirit up.  This is what I am looking for in my potential Anne.  There were other things to consider here as well: the rest of the cast.  I surely didn't want the audition process to feel like it was only about Anne.  I had to have a cast that would mesh well together.  The idea is to gain a sense of closeness throughout the rehearsal process, thus making the story come even more alive to the audience.  It's more believable when the cast can bounce their energy off of each other so much so, that the audience can feel the energy from their seats.  I  even want the audience to get so caught up in what is going on that they probably will forget that these are just actors telling a story.  That is my goal.

So, my first meeting with my new cast will be on Tuesday evening.  I am SOOOOO super excited that I probably won't be able to sleep after I get home from the read thru.  I will be charged with energy and excitement that will have me planning out the very next rehearsal in full detail.

One of the fascinating things that is going to coincide with all of this is the scheduling of school performances, something we haven't done at our theatre.  This has been an easy process so far, but I am sure as time goes on, more schools will jump on board, thus leaving me in a frenzy trying to fit everyone in. Sigh.

The challenge is now before me and I am ready to accept it! 

Until next time, I shall remain,
smattered.  and scattered.  and double covered. (Waffle House humor...gotta love it)

No comments:

Post a Comment